Human Resources Specialist
Salt Lake City, UT
Reports to an HR Manager as part of a work team that partners with academic and other University functional areas to support and address HR and operational needs. It is anticipated the HR Specialist will be physically located in or near the departments they serve. Will provide consultation to departments in a variety of HR areas which may include employee relations (liability management, corrective & disciplinary actions, etc), performance management, recruitment, compensation, training and professional development, and staff, faculty and student employment. Will work under the guidance of the HR Manager while learning about the business operations of customer departments.
• Partners with customer departments to provide consultation and solutions related to a variety of HR areas, which may include employee relations, performance management, recruitment, compensation, training and professional development, and staff, faculty and student employment.
• Provides advice and consultation to University administrators and staff regarding HR policies and procedures. Makes recommendations for new policies and policy revisions.
• Evaluates and documents HR processes, to ensure process improvement and efficiency.
• Prepares reports and documentation regarding area activities. Analyzes data and metrics in order to evaluate effectiveness of procedures, processes and HR service delivery model.
• Recommends modifications regarding existing practices to management, and develops, coordinates and implements changes as needed.
• Ensures compliance with federal, state and university laws and regulations regarding Human Resource activities.
• Provides assistance in the attainment of departmental objectives by performing special projects and studies at the request of management.
• Functions as a resource for University staff and administration to address Human Resource questions and problems.
• Makes recommendations regarding actions in the areas of specialization.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Communications, or a related field, or equivalency; two years Human Resource experience; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required.
- Proven experience exercising strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Must possess ability to work rapidly and accurately with pressure of competing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Skill in managing sensitive and confidential information
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives